The Southern Sampler Artists Colony presents: SOUTHERN SHADOW: A Writer’s Workshop with author and instructor Linda Watanabe McFerrin
April 5 – 12, 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
Ready to wrap your tongue around the Gullah language and relish the dark, tangy sensations that feed the soul and lift the spirit? Want to discover a history like no other, a history bound in slavery, tempered in lowcountry rice fields, and raised to glory in slow primal beats? Join us! Celebrate a side of Charleston that not many locals, much less tourists, know exists.
We’ll stay in a charming and rambling turn-of-the century home on Sullivan’s Island, only minutes from downtown Charleston and just a block away from one of South Carolina’s pristine white-sand beaches.
Linda Watanabe McFerrin, an award winning poet, travel writer, and novelist will lead workshop sessions especially designed for the Black history theme and lowcountry locale. The workshop also includes two thirty-minute, private literary consultations with Linda, one at the beginning and one at the end of the week.
Other highlights are:
- Dinner at “Home” with renowned chef, David Vagasky
- Special guest Alphonso Brown, author, musician, owner of Gullah Tours, and storyteller extraordinaire
- Cocktails and dinner with Nina Liu of Nina Liu & Friends Gallery
- Performance by The Mount Zion Spiritual Singers
- Conversations with Karen Chandler of the Charleston Jazz Initiative and local legendary jazz musicians
- Charleston nightlife
- Green project with the Charleston Parks Conservancy
- Celebrations and gatherings with Michael Haga, Associate Dean, School of the Arts, College of Charleston
- Lowcountry salt marsh exploration with Captain Anton, coastal geologist and gifted tour guide
Workshop, private consultations, accommodations, catered events, customized tours, honorariums, transportation to and from Charleston, S.C. airport (two scheduled pick up times for 4/5 and two scheduled departure times for 4/12), and most meals are included.
Cost is $1,800 ($1,950 if paid after December 15, 2010) for a private room, and $1,600 ($1,750 if paid after December 15, 2010) for a shared room. The choice of private and separate rooms depends upon availability at time of registration.
Please send check to Martha Greenway, 210 Serenity Circle, Mayesville, SC, 29104
For more information and to register, contact: Mary Brent Cantarutti, 415.269.1039 or Martha Greenway, 803.495.2186
VERY LIMITED SPACE
Detailed itinerary available upon request